Translate

The First To Sell Vada Pav In Colaba!

#ChangingColoursOfColaba

In Mumbai's Colaba, Shivaji Sanap's Vada Pav stall is a must-visit joint for the devout Vada Pav lover.

Shivaji Sanap's story is nothing but inspirational as he braved all hardships to realise his dream.

Coming from a village in Nashik where he studied "in a temple," to opening the "first" Vada Pav stall in Mumbai's most posh zone - Colaba, and running it for nearly four decades now, Shivaji has been an entrepreneur par excellence.

Watch the video here.

Shivaji Sanap's story is nothing but inspirational as he braved all hardships to realise his dream
"I was only nine years old, in the fourth standard, when my parents brought me to Mumbai. Here, I worked very hard even as a young boy," he says.

He started doing odd jobs such as "washing utensils, clothes, doing hamali" before selling vegetables where he started from "dhaniya, mirchi" to "kanda, batata." That time, there weren't many hawkers in the area, so I developed a big customer base who'd come from Churchgate, Nariman Point, Navy Nagar, etc."

Shivaji, who now owns two shops and a karkhana, faced several challenges and adversities over time.

Shivaji Karbhari Sanap with mother Shanta Bai and wife Sanjivani
His village, Shivare in Nashik's Niphad taluka, didn't have a proper school. When he came to Mumbai, upon insistence of a few well-meaning friends, he joined a night school. 

"I studied till the fifth standard but later owing to paucity of time my studies suffered and I had to leave the school."

He got married to Sanjivani Wagh from Ulhasnagar in 1981. With his wife in tow, Shivaji fought several battles even on a personal front to create a formidable brand for himself.

His father Karbhari Sanap worked for the Railways in Mumbai. "He wanted me to get a job with the Railways as well but since I was underage and not keen too, I didn't join the Railways.

Today, Shivaji is the happiest when he spends time with his grand-daughters
"My father was not happy when I told him I wanted to open a Vada Pav stall. He disapproved of it but I still gathered courage and went ahead."

It was in 1985 that Shivaji finally started selling Vada Pav ... that too "on a hand cart." There was no other Vada Pav seller in the zone, he maintains. 

"In the beginning, I was selling Vada Pav for Re 1. Then I diversified to Aloo Bhajji, Sandwich, Cutlet, Dal Vada, Samosa, etc." 

With immense hard work and the love and loyalty of his customers, his business started to grow.

Today, he is content as he has provided well for his family. "I am the happiest when I am with my grand-daughters Harshali and Ruchita."


His business is a family affair where all work hard and in clockwork precision to deliver in time. The family wakes up at four am everyday to ensure snacks are ready to be sold by eight am.

"My mother-in-law Shanta Bai would sell fruits, vegetables, etc., and I would help her. Today, I sit at the same spot as hers to sell kanda, batata and vegetables," says Sanjivani.

He recalls the time when despite extreme adversity he kept working, with Sanjivani by his side, only to survive.

"Sanjivani has always supported me and stood by me through thick and thin. I remember we used to work all day, rain or shine. Our son was very young, and she would put him in a sling next to her as she sold vegetables. Sometimes, our neighbours would take care of the child."

All members of the family work in clock-work precision to deliver in time
Their hard work over the years paid off and today they're happy that today they're "living comfortably and in peace."

Even today Shivaji does all the work himself including hand-picking onion and potato from the vegetable market at six am for the original bestseller item... the Vada Pav.

And despite advancing age and ailments, he is showing no signs of slowing down. 

After all, he owes it to his loyal-as-ever customers who'd have only Shivaji's Vada Pav, if one at all!

Watch the video here.

-----

#ChangingColoursOfColaba has been conceptualised by The Draft's Editor Gajanan Khergamker.

(The Draft Colaba is an ultra-local edition of The Draft to bring you news and updates from Mumbai's oldest precinct) 

Follow The Draft Colaba: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube